From:
Randall Lower <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Aug 1999 14:36:52 -0700
>From:    Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Petco in Las Vegas
>Are there any FMLer's in Las Vegas, Nevada?
>There are two Petco's on Las Vegas.  I've been to both and was unhappy
>with both.

Hi!  I've been in Las Vegas 11 years now.  We now have 5 Petco stores here.
Actually there are 3 in Las Vegas and 2 in Henderson which used to be a
small town but is growing rapidly.  I only know of two ferret shelters.
One is Angel Ferret Shelter and other is 24 Karat Ferret Shelter.  And I
know of one breeder in town but I can't remember the name at this moment.
And of course a ton of pet stores.

>There were probably 12-15 extremely young kits in a plexiglass "cage" .
>I'm sure you've seen these at Petco.  Anyway, the top was not open.  The
>top was covered with plexiglass also, but had little holes in it.

Yes, I have seen these types of "cages" unfortunately everywhere at Petco
and pet stores here except of course at the ferret shelters.  And usually
they have wood or cedar shavings in there with a bowl of water full of the
shavings and usually I have noticed, no litter box at all.

>I strongly urge anyone in that area to visit these Petco's to check on the
>ferrets there and give them a peice of your mind if you find things wrong?

At the most recent Petco that opened near me, I was there and on top of
the plexiglass cage was a sign all about ferrets, trying to educate people
about them.  But it stated things like, they are just like cats in many
ways, are noctural and eat cat food.  Things like this.  I stood there for
awhile, and listened to a store employee tell a family all these things.
Including don't buy the albinos because they are very vicious.

I remember when I bought my first ferret years ago being told they were
just like cats and if I have cats and like cats, then a ferret should be
no problem.  I personally don't think this is true and luckily everything
worked out well and now I have 5 ferrets.  And I was never told the proper
food or sold a proper cage.  They let me buy a small one and did not say
anything about ferret proofing the house.  I have come a long way.

I did say something to the store manager about the "cage" they were in and
that silly sign above them.  He was very nice and said he would pass the
info along.  But when I went back a month later, nothing had changed.  So I
just don't know.  I think back and now I realize I should of said something
to that family inquiring about ferrets.  I wonder if anyone working there
has ferrets and knows anything about them.

Ingrid and 5 fuzzies in Las Vegas