From:
Date:
Thu, 19 Dec 1996 23:53:22 -0800
>From:    Regina Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: teeth;baths
>I remember a while back on the FML everybody was saying knock your ferrets
>out to scale their teeth, and now people seem to be advocating doing it
>yourself.

It depends upon how bad they are.  If they're pretty bad right now you might
need your vet to take care of the teeth.  After that you can do it yourself.
One of the important purposes of ferret shows is to learn how to care for
your animal, at many shows there are seminars in care and cleaning of teeth
is a common topic.  Many shelter operators or breeders can also teach you
how - its not "easy" but it is far easier than you expect.

>Could anybody tell me if there are any serious risks in having a healthy,
>five year old ferret anaesthetized long enough for the teeth cleaning?

If he's really healthy then the risks are very minimal.  Heart conditions
are one of the things we've heard to watch out for.

We don't advocate though having non-ferret folks such as the average vet
tech do cleaning without anathesia.  It takes a while to learn the knack of
ferret "manipulation" which vet techs might not be have time for.  Of course
some vet techs are ferret folks so I don't mean them of us.

>From:    Marti Smith <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Questions about ferrets in heat and Albino ferrets
>I am wondering if it's a normal trait for a blackeyed albino ferret to be
>deaf?

A dark eyed white ferret is not an albino although it does genetically have
a partial albinism gene.  The partial albinism gene along with the
Waardensburg gene also present in dark eyed whites is connected to deafness.
So unfortunately, yes.

>And Bear my young male un-nutered ferret is humping my albino ferret, being
>somewhat aggressive, I was told that they usually come into "heat" during
>the spring and summer and stay in heat for about 6 months, but sometimes,
>they can be in heat during other seasons.

Sounds like typical male traits.  Its one reason its recommended to alter
any ferrets not directly involved in a breeding program.  If he's going into
rut look for obviously enlarged scrotums.  They'll get dirty and nasty
looking and be quite smelly.

>The vet said that if he was looking at the eye of a dog he would say that
>Oliver had retinal atrophy - his first impression was that he had cataracts
>but changed his mind when he checked with the 'scope thing.

Dr. Kawasaki has lately been studying this.  It is apparently not all
that uncommon.

>From:    Michael Cook <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Harness & Lead Set
>Is there any suggestions on how to train her to keep the harness on?

Time.  Distract her with a treat after you put it on.

>From:    Holly Amber Callaway <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: various things
>I have a sable colored female who has white bib on her chest, is she still a
>sable?

Sable is a color.  A bib is a pattern.  The sable color can be seen with
just about all patterns.  A bib can be on a sable standard.

>From:    Kim VanderLaan <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Ferret color change

Ferrets often have a lighter color in winter coat than in summer coat.
Not a problem.

bill and diane killian
zen and the art of ferrets
http://www.zenferret.com/