From:
Holly Gorrell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Oct 2002 11:36:44 -0400
>Just a thought about ferret food.  If the kibble and so on we feed
>ferrets is so bad and they should live on alternate diets, then howcum
>their life expectancy is higher than in the wild?  Well thats all from
>my part of the world for now.

I suspect I won't be the only one to respond to this post.  It's not that
simple.  There are many many more differences between tame vs.  wild
animals than what they are fed that could account for differences in
life expectancy.  Tame animals have access to shelter, get fed on a more
regular basis, regardless of what the food is, and are protected from
preditors that might kill them in the wild.  They also get vaccinations
against disease, and may also get less exposure to disease, parasites,
etc., and there are probably many more things other than the differences
I just pointed out.  This is not intended as a flame, just pointing out
that it's not that simple.  A statistical correlation just shows that
there is a relationship, it does not determine cause and

effect.

Re:  ferret mottos.  I've always considered the ultimate ferret motto=20
that every ferret lives by to be:
 "The whole world is a toy, and it's my job to play with it."