Date:
Sun, 1 Feb 2004 19:37:41 -0500
I live in an area that's three to five hours away from the nearest ferret
shelters.  But I've found a small way to make a difference for ferrets
who need forever homes.

I see ads in the paper from people trying to sell ferrets.  I feel sad
for the ferrets.  Of course, no one can answer all these ads.  Don't even
think I'm going to suggest that.  However, I have answered three ads
which touched me for some reason.  I introduce myself as a ferret owner.
I tell them that I'm not interested in buying their ferret.  However, I
give them my name and number and tell them to call if they can no longer
keep the ferret and have not found it a home.  I say that I'm willing to
adopt their ferret into my home if they should need me to.  I tell them
about my ferrets and their life: their own bedroom, good food, medical
care, plenty of play time.

Two out of the three times, the person called me back and asked me to
take their ferret(s).  I now have six ferrets, all males.  Of course,
I take the ferret to the Vet right away for exam and ADV test.  In all
cases, the owner had never taken the ferret(s) to a Vet.  So, I paid
for the ferret in this way: by paying the Vet for their care.

Now, I'm at my limits with the size of my business (sure, go ahead,
laugh!).  But I did my part for the happy three ferrets who found a home
with me.

If there was a ferret shelter near, I'd volunteer.  I do try to support
rescues when I'm able to financially.  This is my simple, small
alternative way of helping a few homeless fuzzies.

Very happy fuzzies, I might add!
Cindy O.  with Cocoa, Butter, Sugar, Willow, Bailey, AND, introducing:
Mischief (five-months old, in need of a forever home, but has found one)