From:
"K. Crassi" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Nov 1998 18:28:59 -0500
>From:    outlawdook <[log in to unmask]>
>Hi Kathy,
>... I agree with you totally.  I suggest we contact the people who place
>their ads in the Annual at a costly price and have each and everyone of
>them threaten to pull their ads if a retraction is not put in the Ferrets
>mag that they put out every 2 months.  Also have ferret owners who
>subscribe to their Ferrets mag ask for their money back if there isn't a
>retraction made.

This is overreacting.  I don't think you can ask for a retraction of a
story that was someone's true personal experience.  It's not like they
printed "ferrets should be fed 1 pound of dark chocolate every day".  That
would call for a retraction.  But this was a story about someone's first,
personal experience with ferret kits.  I don't see how that can be
"retracted."

What you can do is write a letter to the editor.  Point out that ferrets
can be trained not to bite, that some never bite after they pass the kit
stage, and that kits are more prone to biting because of their age, just
like many baby animals.  Say that you hope that readers didn't get the
impression from the article that ferrets are vicious and give an example
of your own experiences with ferrets.

I think that trying to get advertisers to threaten pulling their ads, and
trying to get subscribers to cancel subscriptions is an overreaction.  I
understand why you would overreact, but I don't agree with it.

Karen
A righteous man has regard for the life of his beast, but the mercy of
the wicked is cruel."
                                         (Proverbs 12:10 RSV)
If you love ferrets, check out:
http://www.dartmouth.edu/~crassi/index.html