From:
"Aileen N." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Dec 2000 11:33:11 -0800
This weekend we ran out of ferret food.  I was being a very bad, distracted
mommie and wasn't paying attention to the level of food in the food bin.
So off to the pet store we rushed on Saturday.  Bought the BIG bag of
Totally Ferret, like we always get.

When I got home I started to open it and noticed the date on the top.  Sept
13, 2001.  "Hmmmm," I thought, "wasn't there something funny about that
date that was previously posted on the FML?" So I started to pour it out
into the food bin and almost gagged.  It smelled awful!  I thought it
smelled like Home Depot (you know how those places have a distinctive funny
smell?).  Sean thought it smelled like his uncle's old lawn-care warehouse.

So I jumped on Sean's computer and started searching the FML archives.  It
took me about 20 minutes to come up with the right search string to bring
up what I needed.  But there it was...LOT FOR13A...was among a short list
of bad lots.  D*MN!

It was already too late, the pet store had closed for the night.  And there
I sat, choking from the smell of the food, wondering what to do.  Then I
remembered the extra bag of 8-in-1 food that I had.  A family member had
given it to me for one of the fertling's birthdays.  I checked the bag for
dates, sniffed it when I opened it, and all was good.  So I poured it in
the kids' bowls.  They ate it up!  Within 20 mins both bowls were empty!

So Sean had to go back to the petstore the next morning (I had to work)
carrying that rancid bag of TF.  The store was excellent about replacing
it.  I gave Sean the whole list of bad lot #'s, and the store pulled some
more bags off the shelves.

When I got home from work, Sean had already opened the new bag and poured
it into the food bin.  I ran upstairs, opened the lid, and did a little
<sniff, sniff> to make sure it was OK.  It was!  So I plunged my hands down
into the food, pulled up two big handfuls, and took a BIIIIIG sniff.  Yum!
Now that's how ferret food's supposed to smell.  :-)

You know you're a ferret owner when you get excited by the smell of their
fresh food.

Enjoy your holidays, everyone!

=====
Aileen & the Herd
Welcome to Tank, the dog, the newest Herdling!
Slinky, Kyle, Noel, Toby, & Rootie the beagle
Still missing Sandy & Gizmo. We love you.

Check out the Herd's website at:
 http://www.geocities.com/Petsburgh/Zoo/7414/index.html