From:
"D. Elliott" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 May 2000 05:25:47 -0700
I just wanted to let everyone know that Rio & I are going into our 3rd
day with no bites!!!!!!  This is a huge accomplishment for us since she
normally draws blood 5 or 6 times a day, EVERYDAY.  I don't think it was
all the treats I have been giving her (she's been getting plenty of
treats for a long time now), it wasn't the Bitter Apple (but it keeps
them from digging my carpet!), not the time outs, not the scruffing,
hissing or dragging.  I watched her get in position to bite (the whole
explore-to-find-a-tender-spot-and-sniff-thing) and I got into position
to..... THUMP!  Thumped her hard enough on the nose to make her forget
about biting me (ever again, I hope).  Now, before some of you get your
panties in a wad, keep in mind I have been EXTREMELY patient and gentle
throughout this whole time of her viscous bites (I have never retaliated in
response to having chunks of my flesh ripped open-except for scruffing).
Also bear in mind this is MY ferret (not yours) and I devote all my time,
energy, and MONEY to this little critter and I would NEVER put her in any
danger.  I fought fire with fire.  And IT WORKED.  I know you all will
understand.  I do not recommend this as a first response solution (I had
already tried almost everything suggested to me because I had visited the
Problem Ferrets and People Who Love Them site long ago), so if you have a
new ferret and you are a new ferret owner, don't try this first.  Anyway,
it worked, she's fine, but she still bites other people *sigh*.  I guess
this makes her a Momma's Girl.  Thanks again everyone for your help!!

*#*#*A PERSONAL NOTE: IT IS SAD THAT I HAD TO DEVOTE HALF OF THE POST
DEFENDING MYSELF FROM FLAMES.  PLEASE BE NICE AND DON'T MAKE PEOPLE AFRAID
TO POST.  REMEMBER THIS IS THE INTERNET-NO ONE IS LIVE IN COLOR IN YOUR
FACE, SO LET'S NOT ACT LIKE IT.  IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT, IGNORE IT.  ANYONE
WHO RELIES SOLELY ON THE INFORMATION POSTED HERE TO CARE FOR THEIR FERRETS
IS NOT VERY SMART ANYWAY.  IT'S NOT YOUR JOB TO CORRECT ANY AND ALL FALSE
AND/OR HARMFUL INFORMATION OUT THERE, AND TRYING TO DO SO IS RUDE AND
CAUSES PROBLEMS.

Sincerely,
Deziree
Rio--Mishu--introducing Annabell's MOM