From:
Faith Pollifrone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Jul 2001 14:18:19 EDT
This isn't actually a warning to ferrets but if you have other animals
please be aware that it is dangerous to them.

My hubby got home from work, went to pick me up...about an hour...we came
back...didn't think anything about him having left our chewy dog out of
the crate for one hour.  My hubby says...he was so good...he didn't chew
anything up.  Then he started throwing up after awhile...didn't know what
it was...thought maybe the heat had gotten him a bit or when he was outside
he's eaten grass or something.  This morning he's still throwing up the
same weird stuff...looked like piles of worms...started examining and
wondering...what the heck is this stuff...this doesn't seem good...
Finally dawned on me...the darn rice bin!!!!  I'd never suspected he'd eat
the rice!  Called the vet...give him mineral oil every 4 hours...and hope
he doesn't block up...if he does...surgery... so all of you guys that use
rice.  PLEASE...watch your other animals...I never suspected dry rice could
become a hazard!  :-( My poor guy...I feel sooo bad...I knew he chewed but
he never touched the rice bin before..!  .but I never left him out on his
own with no one in the house with him either.  Hubby thought it was a nice
thing to do...

Just thought I'd better let you guys know just in case you have a chewy dog
or animal that gets into things...better to share the experience than find
out and wish someone who'd gone through it had and hadn't said anything.

Faith