From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Nov 2009 13:47:01 -0500
I am posting anonymously because certain people are set in their ways
since feeding raisins was a perfectly acceptable treat.....20 years
ago and might not like this post because they are giving their ferrets
deadly treats. There is a ton of outdated information out there that
say raisins and other fruit and non meat items such as cheerios and
what not make great ferret treats (ferrets for dummies first edition
being one of them, make sure to upgrade to the second edition). Do they
love them....yes but just like how some of us like ice cream and eat a
whole pint in one sitting even though you shouldn't. As most of us know
and the rest SHOULD know ferrets are obligate carnivores. They lack a
cecum to digest non meat items. Well raisins cause renal failure,
intestinal blockages and contribute to insulinoma. It is believed that
as little as 6 raisins in one sitting can kill your pet. In some cases
it only takes one raisin.

Here is my source (read links in first post)

http://holisticferret.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=gen&action=display&thread=419

My intention of this post is to save ferrets lives and owners
heartbreak. That is all, please eat those raisins yourself
don't share.

[JJ]