Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Wed, 14 Apr 1993 19:11:31 -0400
Hello, Ferreters!

    A couple of my carpet sharks had ear mites when I got them.  The vet gave
us a bottle of ear drops, which seemed to work after a couple of weeks of
constant twice-a-day application.  But, the mites came back.  So, I tried
Ear-Rite (from Labert-Kay, I think), and that didn't seem to work *at all*.
Then, I read an article in the newspaper (the Denver Post, don't remember
the author's name..) that said to try Boric Acid for ear mites in dogs.
I got some at the grocery store in the medicine and vitamin department.
It comes in a plastic bottle about the size of a large bottle of vitamins,
and I don't remember what it cost.  Inside the bottle is a white powdery
substance.  I got a little of that on a Q-Tip, and just lightly "dusted"
the insides of Pogo's ears.  The ear mites were *GONE* in two or three days!!
They haven't come back, either!  A word of caution:(several, actually :)
Boric Acid is WAY POISONOUS, so keep it where your "kids" CAN'T get at it!
Also, just use a *little* in each ear, not enough that they can lick it
off each other.  It hardly takes any at all, so that bottle should last
a lifetime (or several!)

    Also, about Kaytee Ferret Food, my ferrets *HATED IT*.  When I mixed
it in with their usual Iams Kitten Food, they just picked out the Kitten
Food, and left the Ferret Food!  Eventually, by leaving out the Kitten
Food altogether, I got them to eat the Ferret Food.  They didn't seem to
eat as much then, but they pooped more, and the poop smelled worse than
usual.  So, I switched them back to Kitten Food, they wolfed it down, and
the poop returned to its usual volume/odor.

    If we tried to list all the cute things our furries did every day,
the List would be 10 times longer!

Eric, Pogo, Bungee, Tinkerbelle, and Toodles, too!
"We have clean ears!"