From:
Chere McCoy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Feb 1998 11:13:29 EST
Ferret Friends Disaster Response International is on Disaster Alert Status
in two States: Florida and California.

Regarding the Tornado's in Central Florida - Thus far no Ferret shelter have
reported damage.  Local Humane Societies in Counties affected are reporting
lots of homeless animals wandering around trying to locate their owners -
All Humane Societies seem to be handling situation extremely well.  The only
shelter we have been unable to contact is Susie Sherman - hopefully we will
be able to check on her today.

Since the Tornado's truck between 0200 and 0500hrs 2/23/98 most of the
animal affected were of course in the house's of their owners - with all
asleep.  This makes it incredibly difficult to find VICTIMS and locate
owners.  Emergency Rescue Services are still going through the wreckage
today hunting for people (17 missing) who may still be alive.

Of course should we change to Disaster Response Status (in FL or CA) we will
inform you.

As for California, we have been on Alert Status for three weeks and will
continue in that stage unless we are notified of situation change.  Most
animals affected in CA are large i.e. Horse, Cow, Lama etc.  I receive fax's
every other day from HSUS regarding status.

Chere McCoy
Director, Ferret Friends Disaster Response International

P.S.  Please be aware that due to the "El Nino" both Florida and California
will experience unseasonable weather.  Both states have WAY TO MUCH RAINFALL