Date:
Tue, 7 Jan 1997 13:19:56 -0500
>From:    "Stephanie L. Arno" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Cage question
>I want to put carpet in my ferrets cage, but I don't know how to attach it.
>I'm pretty sure if I didn't attach it to the cage my ferrets would be under
>it more than on top of it.  I would really appreciate any suggestions.

Hi Stephanie,

I'd tend to agree, my 8-week old kits are into and under everything!  I used
a "hot-melt" glue to adhere very tightly looped commercial carpet to the
floors of Stella and Dupree's 3-story cage.

Any hardware store will have a hot melt glue gun (Black and Decker for
example), and one feeds 1/2 inch sticks of glue into it, and it squirts out
melted glue, which becomes quite hard once it cools.  Do read the package
inserts on the glue, however, there are many types available, and you want a
general-purpose adhesive.

After cutting the carpet (I just bought left-over "samples" for $1 each) to
size (try to leave as much factory edge-binding on as possible), I laid the
carped fuzzy side down on my bench, then placed the wire-rack floor on top
of it.  Then I put a 1/2 inch blob of glue at about every fourth
intersection of the wires while my wife held the floor tightly to the carpet
back.  Voila, it hardened in about a minute, and the rug is well attached!

The only further problem I have is that they LOVE to chew the unbound edge.
I used duct tape on that, and cover it with bitter apple cream daily.

        Good luck!

                       Peace,
                        Sonam