From:
Lisa Sims <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Apr 1997 08:57:53 -0400
Good Morning,
Today is my first day of recieving the ferret postings and was happy to see
the postings on the name Loki.

After thinking about getting a second ferret for months, yesterday was the
big day.  Off we went in search of a baby.  The first stop was a pet store
closest to home.

The store had a 9 week old baby girl.  She was kept in an 10 gallon glass
tank in the back room behind glass doors.  On top of the screen covering
were heavy rocks.  My heart ached and I thought we are taking her.  When the
store employee opened the cage the baby immediatly began attacking.  I asked
if how long she had been there and was told a week and was seldom handled.
I began to get nervous about her temperment (and felt so bad for her) that I
wanted to give her a fair chance.  I plopped myself on the floor and let
Meggie down.  The kit attacked, and meggie quickly retreated to my lap.
After sitting for a half hour I realized that this baby would need more help
then we could give her.  Meggie was terrified of her.  Regrettably we left.

At the next store we met a 7 week old male.  The store did not have a place
where we could sit safely and observe Meggie's interaction with him.  The
employee took him out of his large pen and he immediatly let his intentions
known, he wanted down.  Meggie looked a little interested.  We let them meet
nose to nose and decided to put them in the pen area together.  Of course
Meggie completely ignored him, prefering the large ferret ball instead.  But
the kit was not to be ignored and raced over to her.  I got alittle nervous
when they started to play, after being a single ferret owner for three years
but the employee assured me that it was normal ferret play.  Then Meggie put
her paw on the kit holding him down as she began to clean his fur.  The
choice had been made.

Refusing a box "Merlin" was placed on a leash and home we came.  Within 10
minutes of entering the house he escaped his leash.  I kept thinking Merlin
does'nt fit.  Loki after the God of mischief seems better.  A quick name
change.  ( imagine my surprise to see this mornings postings on the name
Loki and I thought I was being so orginal)

I live in a mobile home with a lot of places that a furrie could get into
trouble so outside playtime is closely monitered.  The living room where the
cage is kept is ferret proof.  I have to large screens that block the two
open doorways and Meggie has always been content exploring the one room.
Loki is well named.  He spent more time trying to escape the living room
then playing where he can.

Meggie has a harness leash,Which the pet store did not stock, much better
then the rope leash of Loki's.  After a quick visit to the vet's this
morning we go in search of a safer leash.  We have a outside furrie run
which is a favorite of Meggie's and I want Loki to have his introduction to
the great outdoors.  But certainly not on the leash he can escape from!

We are working on no nipping.  Have quickly discovered each furrie is
different.  Meggie took quickly to a firm no, Loki on the other hand thinks
fingers are great for teething , much better then the offered toys.  Bitter
apple on the way!

We are so proud of him this morning.  The first trip inside the litter box
to use for the appropriate reason.

Glad to have found this list and look forward to sharing stories of our new
baby and our much loved Meg.

/ Lisa