Date:
Fri, 12 Mar 1999 23:09:48 +1300
Thank you Vicki for your insight.  I guess in some ways there 'is' a reason
to be scared of Skeeter.  The 'fear' you spoke of in last nights FML is not
specifically of 'Skeeter' or Skeeters' circumstances, but of knowing that
another loved one has passed away.  This is something I hadn't considered,
and is a very valid point.

Jacqueline, you hit the spot too, I believe everyone's method of grieving
is different.  Although Skeeter may help some, he definitely cannot help
others.  It's an individual thing, and no-one can say for sure which is
right and which is wrong.  Everyone's beliefs are their own, and all their
decisions, likes, dislikes and opinions are based on those beliefs.

Jeri... I'm trying to picture a ferret with an official job... hehehehe
A title to me means a job, and job means work... Aren't ferrets the
antithesis of work?  LOL  (I know my ferrets do their best to stop me
from working!)

Chanel, I personally believe that Skeeters anonymity is one thing which
helps the people to be able to accept Skeeter *as* 'Skeeter' and not as a
person 'playing' as Skeeter.  It may seem to be a little thing, but I
believe that it makes a difference.  The way I see Skeeter was admirably
addressed by BIG.  However, different people will see Skeeters posts as
having different meanings or a different purpose.  Who knows what the true
purpose of it is, but it sounds to me like they're helping at least some
people deal with their grief.

Melissa, your opinion differs from mine, but I'm glad you have one!
Differing opinions are how people learn, it's good to hear of people
responding with their feelings in a non-flaming manner.

Sharin, personally, when I read your comment I shrugged and left it at
that.  I couldn't understand why you were 'scared' (I think I may have an
idea after Vicki's post!) but you didn't go overboard in your opinions.
It's only when it was taken a step further by the next poster that things
blew out of proportion.  I don't know if other people agree with me but I
don't believe that you really *needed* to apologise.  Having said which, I
also think it's wonderful that you saw what happened and did so.  One of
life's hardest things is to learn how to apologise.  I should know, I'm
still trying to learn that lesson!

Now that I've addressed others comments, my opinion on this whole issue
is...

Personally, I believe in God.  I believe there's a heaven and a hell.  In
order to really believe in the Rainbow Bridge I would have to set aside my
beliefs.  After all, in the Rainbow Bridge, everyone who's been great to
the pets gets to cross over the Bridge... which in my bliefs, just doesn't
happen.  However, I would *like* to believe in the Rainbow Bridge.  After
all, at the Bridge, all animals are healthy, happy, contented, playful and
spritely again.  All animals get along, they're not abused, mistreated, or
treated with ignorance.  They're always fully fed and watered, always warm
and comfortable.  They always have games to play and friends to play with.
It's a wonderful ideal, and a wonderful place to dream of where my lost
pets to be.  It's easy to imagine the meadows where the animals play in
harmony.  It's easy to imagine the "All You Can Eat Raisin Bar" even!

Personally, I would rather believe that my lost ones: Sylvester, Guy, and
Slinky (and possibly Podo) are all happily dooking and playing together and
awaiting my arrival so they can join me over the Bridge.  I would love to
be able to see my babies again when I die.  Because of my beliefs, to me,
the Rainbow Bridge is a fantasy.  However, it's a fantasy that makes me,
and others, happy.  So, I'm good at delusion ;o) I've ben told often enough
I'm deluded anyway!

My take: Skeeter is helping some people on this list to set their grieving
and/or guilt aside and begin to live their lives again.  If he only helps
one person, he has done something good.  Therefore, for what it's worth, I
give my support to Skeeter and others like him who are here to help the
people and ferrets of this community of ferret-lovers.  Liked or not liked,
Skeeter is providing a service.  I would hate to see him leave because of
some people who could not be bothered to skip the (well marked) posts.

Sam