From:
New Rainbow Bridge <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Jun 2012 09:13:06 -0400
>Wow, when I read Laura Holland's email, I was floored. Where did her
>information come from? She is not a personal associate of Alison
>Parker, nor a personal associate of anyone that was connected with
>Jake and Jasper. So where does she get the idea that Alison Parker
>made a lot of money on it? There has never been anything written
>ANYWHERE that indicates Ms. Parker made a profit on Jake and Jasper.

You're absolutely right; no one has any idea of what she made or didn't
make on that movie. Isn't that something people should have asked for
before donating to the second one?

>Is it because one assumes every movie, regardless of who directs it
>or where it's made, rakes in a lot of money? Indie films rarely make
>money. They are lucky to break even. That, my friends, is *FACT*. Jake
>and Jasper had a number of small animals in it, and even though they
>were on film briefly, it costs THOUSANDS of dollars to have them on
>set for just one day. You have to pay for the animal, the animal's
>handler. Another *FACT*.

Now we have a minor problem: Alison has admitted that the ferret in
Jake & Jasper was hers. She paid nothing for having it on set.

>Locations are not procured for free. There are permits that have to
>be obtained.

Now who's making assumptions? She could have shot that movie on her
property and paid nothing. You don't know that she spent money for
locations any more than we do.

>And the actors in the movie are UNION actors. They make their money
>by acting. Yes, even in indie films. HELLO... they don't get paid by
>the union actors' fairy.

True, but union scale for an indie film isn't all that high. And even
union actors can work non-union films if they want. Once again, we
really don't know for sure what they charged for their time.

>The DVDs had to be purchased, it's not like anyone ordered them
>directly from a manufacturer. Shelters and rescues that sold copies of
>the DVD kept all the proceeds for themselves. That's how she wanted
>it, because she *is*, in fact, trying to help rescues and shelters.
>
>The money raised to film Jake and Jasper paid the expenses of making
>that movie. That was all.

Do you know that for certain? Did you see the financial statements? I'm
not saying you're wrong, but I wouldn't make that statement without
some way of backing it up.

>How much is it assumed she raised? I can safely wager that anyone
>claiming she made a profit had nothing at all to do with the project
>to begin with. Now she is raising money for The Ferret Squad. It is
>NOT a short film, it is full-length. There is a bigger cast, longer
>filming, significantly higher production costs. Aside from that, she
>is STILL donating the money she promised to donate to
>LegalizeFerrets.org. If anyone wants all the money to go towards
>charity, well, there is absolutely nothing stopping anyone else from
>creating a fundraising campaign to do just that. To ostracize her,
>when she is simply doing exactly what she said she would do from the
>start - make a movie - is incorrigible. She is not guilty of thievery,
>or dishonesty. By attacking her and this project, you only serve to
>make yourselves look petty and bitter.

I don't know who attacked her personally. Me, I just wanted people to
avoid supporting a project that will ultimately hurt ferrets.

>I mean, I really do hate to sound harsh here, but those allegations
>are rude and out of line. If you choose not to support the movie, so
>be it. * Your* decision. But Alison Parker does not have to provide
>you with financial statements to prove that she's broke. You are not
>any more entitled to see her financial statements than you are to see
>President Obama's birth certificate.

Which he did have to provide a number of times, and still there are
idiots out there who won't accept it as fact and let it go away.

>(And before anyone replies that they want proof of these things before
>they donate their hard-earned money, don't. Fundraising officially
>ended yesterday. Congrats on officially being a non-supporter.)

And from those of use who've dedicated our lives to caring for those
unwanted and abused ferrets, we thank you for not supporting this
movie.

>I am a published author. Is it assumed I am making Stephen King's
>income, since we are both in books? Because that assumption is no more
>ridiculous than assuming Ms. Parker made a profit on Jake and Jasper.

So am I; and an award-winning course developer and video producer. And
you're right: Just because someone makes a movie doesn't mean it made
any money.

But then again, if she didn't make anything with the first one, why do
the second one? Who's going to benefit from a movie that doesn't make
any money? That just sounds like throwing good money after bad.

Unless she believes that this time she has something that will make
money. Which makes sense, but it also means she's doing this to make
money; not for any altruistic purpose. She's using the promise of
support for Legalize Ferrets to market her idea, and get people to
donate money. Smart marketing, but hardly a noble gesture.

>I applaud Alison and what she's doing. The number of ferret owners
>that support her far outweigh the few that are protesting.

Probably true. However those of us who are protesting aren't ferret
owners: We're ferret rescues. We've seen what can happen when animal
films come out, and we're all pretty frightened by the consequences.

>And the only thing that is accomplished when you complain and throw
>out BOGUS accusations is that you generate more attention and interest
>in the movie.

Also probably true. But we have to try to help those ferrets, and this
was the only way we could think of. I mean, besides feeding and caring
for the unwanted and abused ferrets.

>I would just like to add that many of you in the FML have been
>tremendously supportive of this movie. As far as I'm considered,
>you are all rock stars. Me and my ferrets salute you.

My thanks go to the rescues and shelters who argued against it. And,
you know, feed and take care of those unwanted and abused ferrets.

Steve Bodofsky
The New Rainbow Bridge, and
The Last Chance Ferret Rescue
www.newrainbowbridge.com