From:
Adrienne Williams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Aug 1996 16:51:16 -0400
This is not a good design at all for ferrets, Both the cat cage and the
ferret cages are dangerous.  I have mentioned this before to pet stores, and
in other ferret forums.  Perhaps it is time to send a letter to the
manufacturers.

If recommending this type of cage to anyone, it is important to mention that
while the tall cages can be the best way to keep your ferret caged, you need
to modify the cage to make it safe, whether it is a ferret cage or cat cage.
I have yet to see any tall cage that I would consider safe, right out of the
box.

What I did is take a 2' X 3' X .5" piece of heavy plywood (Shaped to fit the
inside of the cage, but not long enough to take up the whole length) and 3
pieces of heavy duty wire ( I think it was a coat hanger ).  Secure 2 of the
3 pieces in each corner, and 1 piece going across the cage, place the
plywood on top of them (near the center of the cage).  Then we took one of
the levels that came with the cage and placed it halfway between the plywood
insert and the floor, opposite the side of the plywood.  then halfway
between the plywood level and the top of the cage is the other level that
came with cage, and right above the plywood is a hammock.  Our goal was to
design this cage so that no ferret would fall more than 1 foot.  BTW - We
also had carpet over the plywood, but removed it due to a strong chemical
smell from the rug.  As soon as I find an old piece of carpet I will replace
it.

The deluxe ferret cage in Ferret Outfitters, and other pet suppliers are not
good enough in my opinion to assure that a nasty fall does not occur.  I
have also read about ferrets getting their feet stuck between the wire grate
of one level, and then falling.  This could result in an injured animal.  I
own a cat cage that has carpeted levels, so this is not an issue.  I am not
sure why the manufacturer decided not to carpet the ferret cage, perhaps for
easier cleaning.  Personally, If I did own one, I would cover the wire grate
with carpet.

Adrienne