From:
Kim Black <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 May 1996 13:13:32 -0500
Tim,
I hope I didnt come across as thinking that deafness means "unable".  Thats
not what I think at all.  My Valentine is as normal as any other ferret.
Hes the favorite man in my life but dont tell my husband!  Im just needing
to find other alternatives to getting his attention besides noise.  With
that said...... I liked the idea about thumping the floor twice.  Will that
work on carpet?  Would he be able to get the idea if he wasnt looking at me?
Right now when I have his attention I will put my hands down on the ground
in a kind of "come to me" fashion and he usually comes right over- if hes
not too busy of course!  Several people have suggested as you did about the
flash light or flashing light.  Mostly the idea is to get their attention to
look at you -right?  then you could motion them to come or whatever?  Vals
everyday activity is no different than any of my other ferrets.  Ive just
never been owned by a deaf one before.  I guess really, my main concern is
in an emergency when I cant see him how do I find him or how does he find
me.  Ok Im a planner, and a worrier, and somewhat overprotective BUT I also
know where to come for expert advice!

Thanks for your help!!

Kim Black and Valentine and Tizzie ('cause shes always ina)