From:
Jodie Bohlmann <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Nov 1999 02:56:58 EST
Yesterday I stopped by a pet store in Washington, Missouri.  There, in a
large cage were five ferrets.  They had litter boxes and food and water, so
I am NOT complaining about the treatment they've received.  I'm hoping that
the aquarium-like cage was huge enough that they were able to get some air
circulation.  But the sad thing is that I think they've been there in the
pet store for a very long time.  They looked bigger than my ferrets, and
mine are all adults.  I was in the store last July, and I'm not sure, but I
fear that they may be the same ferrets.  The owner said they were not, and
I don't mean to question her, but these guys did not seem like babies.  I
doubt that they ever get played with.  The store owner said they bite.
Without thinking, I commented they really needed somebody to play with them
who knew about ferrets and they would learn to stop biting really quick.  I
think I offended her, but I did not mean to.  I just spoke my thoughts out
loud without thinking how it might affect the listener.  These are very
kind people who run this store.  They do the best they know how.  I wanted
so much to at least hold the little guys, but my ferrets had ECE this past
summer, and if I understand it correctly, it's contagious for years.  It
broke my heart.  I wanted to bring each one of them home, but I can't.  I
have four, which I know doesn't sound like many to those of you who have
dozens, but it's stretching the limit of how many ferrets I can care for.
I think the price they had posted was $79.00 each, but I'm not sure.  The
pet store is called Critter Corral.  Please email me if you want
directions.  I realize this is a pet store and not a shelter, but I just
felt so sad for those little ferrets.  They did, at least, have each other,
but it didn't seem like much of a life.

Jodie