From:
Todd Leuthold <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Mar 2004 13:02:51 -0500
Condolences to those with lost, sick, or angeled ferret fishing toy
danglers...

(Ok.  I climbed up on Ghost's cage, captured the hated Ferret Fishing Toy
frog, grabbed it in my mouth...and now I'm looking like a goof, slowly
hanging six inches off the floor, gently swinging back and forth.  Ain't
life grand? :)  Hope I don't get tired soon!)

In (FML #2004-4450) Bill Gruber, moderator extraordinaire, said:
>[Moderator's note: One of my pet peeves, ya know. I never have found
>ANY evidence that chocolate is poisonous to ferrets. There is, however,
>PLENTY of anecdotal evidence that ferrets have no problem with it....

Yup, I have to agree with you.  A few years ago, my daughter, finding a
bag of chocolate "eggs" that was intended for handing out at Halloween,
decided she needed them more than the little monsters that would show up
that night.  Unfortunately, not having a ferret-proof brain herself, she
thought that hiding them under her dresser would be the perfect place to
protect them.  Ferrets fit under dressers just fine.  They also come
fully equipped to open plastic bags.  Two ferrets ate more than a dozen
little solid milk chocolate eggs between them.

Now, being uninformed about ferrets and chocolate, I spent $125 at the
emergency clinic, only to be told that there was nothing in the books
about ferrets and chocolate and that they didn't show any sings of
anything other than being full.  I took them home (cursing such
expensive fees for doing nothing at all!) and watched them carefully.

These are the results:

1 got diarrhea for a short time

That's it.

However, remember this.  Chocolate contains sugar and caffeine (the
latter in small doses), neither of which is an important nutritional
component in most ferret diets!

Todd and the Fuzzbutt Rodeo Clowns!

---
mailto:[log in to unmask]