From:
Katrina D Ramsell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Apr 1996 09:19:39 -0400
Hi Everyone!
I have had several people write me and congratulate me on my acceptance to
vet school.  That was really sweet of you and I really appreciate your
support.  I think I will really enjoy vet school, although I realize it
won't be a total picnic!

To Irena:
Your note to me was really sweet.  Actually I will be attending Michigan
State University, not U of M (I don't think U of M has a vet school).  It
sounds like you are a sensitive person and care a great deal about the
welfare of animals.  I've realized that death is a natural part of life, but
there are many people who do not respect the value of an animal's life -
such as some who hit animals on the road.  I'm sure many people hit an
animal on the road though and feel badly but do not want to go out and move
the animal - you never know if the animal could have a contageous disease of
some sort and is best not handled.  I do feel that accidents like the Exxon
thing are inexcusable.  Many vet schools are trying to use computer
simulations as much as possible so that the use of real animals can be
reduced.  There is some value to using a real animal to learn though - I
would hate to know that my first surgery was on my client's favorite
ferret.....  Good luck!  Katrina R.