From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Oct 1996 11:15:40 -0700
Hi Adrienne,

It's not so hard to keep ferrets in California, they just don't get to go
outdoors as much as I'd like, and I don't get to show them off to neighbors.
When you rent a place, it's basically yours.  The landlord is permitted in
with 48 hours written notice, or immediately in an emergency, but emergencies
are rare.

At my house, I changed the lock when I moved in so I could be sure the
landlord wouldn't randomly try to come in.  (He did once, and discovered the
changed lock, and then asked permission like he was legally required to in
the first place.)  He's needed in a couple of times to do things, so I've
packed everyone up and taken them to a friend's house.

Ferret vets are plentiful, if a bit expensive in the S.F. Bay Area; I don't
know about San Diego, but I don't think it's too bad there.

If you decide not to move, be sure to write a letter to the Governor's
office mentioning your decision.  But I don't think you should leave your
little ones behind because of a ridiculous rule.

If you need help getting your little ones safely here, there are several
back issues of the FML that discuss it, or you can email me privately.

It's probably worth joining the California Domestic Ferret Association
(CDFA) or the Pat Wright organization whose name escapes me at the moment.
They both have newsletters wth helpful info about ferrets in California.

Dennis