Date:
Fri, 4 May 2007 12:31:03 EDT
>I suggest a Gentle Leader of the other types of head collars or an
>easy walk harness both made by Premier. The Gentle Leader is easier
>to fit correctly and easier to put on the dog.
>
>Ailigh Vanderbus,  CABT

I highly suggest reading this article about head collars such as Gentle
Leaders. It is very informative :)
<http://www.flyingdogpress.com/headhalters.html>

The suggestion of a class is a good one! Although since the dog has
killed another dog I wouldn't suggest group classes. Would you consider
having a trainer coming over for private lessons? IMO that is going to
be far more helpful then getting opinions off an email list because
they will be able to explain and demo the technique (s) they use
and will give you in person help. If your only issue is pulling you
will probably only need a couple sessions - one to start with and a
follow up.

This sites are an excellent resource for finding trainers in your area:

http://www.apdt.com/po/ts/default.aspx

http://www.akc.org/clubs/search/index.cfm?action=obed&display=on
(AKC Obedience clubs generally offer pet behavior counseling, are non
profit and are usually made up of dedicated, experienced "dog people")

Dog Training, Puppy Training, Dog Trainers Tips
http://www.dogtrainersearch.com/

http://www.ccpdt.org

No matter how you find a trainer, it is important you talk to them
about their methods and if possible observe them teaching before
deciding if this is someone you want to help you. All of these lists
can contain excellent, good, fair and bad trainers. It is up to you to
determine which one you hire to help you. Certification in dog training
is not like certification in other things. There are tons of small dog
trainer schools which certify trainers, often after just a short
course. Many are internet based and the school never sees the dog
trainers they certify. I "train the trainers" for one such school and
IME many students from these schools may have never trained a dog
before enrolling so they lack experience, even if they understand
techniques. The same is true of Petsmart and Petco trainers - some are
very inexperienced. The APDT's CPDT is probably the most professional
certification available currently so I have included their search
above. Generally though I'd advise looking at experience over
certification - how long has the person been training dogs, how many
dogs of their own have they trained, are they active in any dog related
venue, how long have they been an instructor, what do they do for
"continuing education" such as seminars, taking classes, etc are all
good questions to start with. If you have multiple trainers in your
area - speak to and observe each one. And don't let anyone talk you
into doing something to your dog that you aren't comfortable with.

Good Luck!

Nikki