From:
Michelle Nadorozny <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Nov 1997 19:58:07 -0500
I've been reading all of the postings about insulinoma with great interest,
and just wanted to share a story.

My ferret, Squirt, was diagnosed with insulinoma about two years ago.  My
vet said that my only option was surgery, and that Squirt would die anyway
in about a year, because the tumors are usually too small to remove them
all.  Now, my vet has not seen a lot of ferrets, so I wasn't exactly sure if
he knew what he was talking about, but I have since heard the same thing on
the list.

Squirt had lost approximately 1/2 of his body weight, would vomit everytime
he ate, and was generally grouchy and listless.  The vet recommended putting
him on Pedia-Pred (a type of steroid) to regulate his blood sugar level so
that he would gain some weight back before surgery.  Once he started taking
this medicine (.25 cc daily), he gained back all of the lost weight, plus
more!  He's fat and happy, dances regularly, and doesn't even act like he's
sick.

I've had Squirt for five years and he has lived a happy life.  He has
cataracts, but gets around just fine!  Considering all this with the fact
that the vet said he would die anyway, I decided against the surgery.  After
all, why make him suffer through it if it wouldn't really help?  I discussed
this with the vet, and he said that without the surgery, Squirt would be
dead in three months.  Well, that was over two years ago, and Squirt is
still doing great!!

I'm not saying that surgery isn't a good thing; just that you should weigh
all of the facts and then make a loving decision.  Squirt has lasted much
longer than predicted (still taking PediaPred everyday, which much taste
great because he thinks it's a treat), and from the way he acts, I believe
that he isn't going to leave me anytime soon.

Michelle, Squirt, and PB