Date:
Thu, 14 Jan 1999 08:20:15 -0800
I work for a magazine which focus' on sustainable agriculture and Horse
farming, and we have quite an extensive archive of old ( late 1800's to
early 1900's, etc.) farm magazines that we use for the old graphics and
such.  While I was doing some research through these old mags the other day
I came across several ads for......... Working Ferrets!  One Mag was 'The
Farm Gazette' from 1908, and the ad states that they have 10,000 Ferrets,
from select breeders, Perfect Workers, etc.  and gives the address as
Samuel Farnsworth, Middletown OH.  In a second Mag.  'The Farm Journal'
from 1907, there are two such ads!  One from the same Farnsworth guy and
another listing 4,000 ferrets and giving the name of N A Knapp, Rochester
OH.  Bothe ads have a small graphic with them which I intend to scan in as
soon as I can.  I just thought you all might like to know about this as it
deffinitely shows that ferrets have been kept in domesticity in the US for
at least a hundred years.  And, Hmmmmmmm, 14,000 some odd ferrets
advertised for sale over a years period in OH and NO Feral colonies in OH!
( And I know they didn't neuter back then )

I'll let you all know when  Iget the ads scanned.

Amy Evers
Worf ( The Velociweasel! )
Phebe ( Blossom Butt )
**Still missing our sweet Katie.**
     "Here's Dookin' at You Kit!"

"I Know you, so lets behave poorly together....."   LRM

http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Ridge/8589/