Date:
Fri, 17 May 1996 23:14:44 -0400
Swampp asks:
>I've been telling our reps that ferrets are supported by private shelters
>to the extent that adopters outnumber adoptees.  Is this assertion untrue?
>How many shelters out there have more than ... say 5 adoptable ferrets?
>What's the average wait for the ferret?

It depends on the location and the time of the year.  I usually have a
waiting list inthe winter months, but when the weather warms and people
start moving, I get more ferrets than adopters.  I presently have around 16
adoptees looking for homes.  Several are on hold because they need to gain
weight before I will let tham go, one pair and a single are bad biters and
need special understanding, and one pair will have medical problems down the
line and need an understanding home.  5 of the 16 ferrets are 4 & 5 years of
age, and placing older ferrets takes a liottle more time.  I also have four
pairs right now, and they also take longer to place sometimes.

If a person wanted to adopt a 1-2 year old friendly single ferret, I don't
have one.  I also have to figure in ECE factors, some ferrets are unexposed
and others are not.

Complicated enough?  Basically, I'm now inthe three week to place a ferret
stage AFTER it is deemed adoptable.

Pam / The Ferrets Of Pet Pals, VA