Date:
Mon, 30 Oct 2000 04:52:44 -0600
In the last few days, in private posts, on the APF and here, on the FML, a
number of people have expressed strong emotions regarding my decision to
leave the list.  While at perhaps a core level, such outrage has left me
with an intense sense of awe and thankfulness, it is also producing a
destructive side effect which I find intolerable.

I am a true believer.  Always have been, always will be.  I believe in
people, in myself, in those causes I choose to work for, and even in a
future for our beloved ferrets.  I came on this list to learn about
ferrets, to have fellowship with other ferret owners, and to share a few
things I have learned.  I have never been always right, I have written
more than my share of corrections, and I have changed my mind about some
things; I am far more aggressive in sending my ferret into surgery now,
and I no longer think every ferret can get along with every other ferret.

I believe in the FML.  And I think that in it's best interests, I would ask
everyone to voluntarily to set aside the topic of me leaving this list.  If
you need to vent, do so, but rather than sending it to Bill for posting,
send it to yourself or to me or a third party you can trust.  Let the issue
die.

The success or failure of a club is directly proportional to the desire of
the membership to make it successful.  The FML is such a club, 3000+ member
strong and dedicated to the betterment of our little ferrets.  That places
us in a unique brotherhood for which we are all ultimately responsible.
Being upset or posting about my leaving might make you feel better, and it
certainly makes me feel better, but it really doesn't make ferrets feel
better.  And that should be our ultimate goal, shouldn't it?  The FML is
very lucky to have Bill; in the time I have been here, I have seen several
ferret newsgroups and mailing lists come and go, but the FML is still here,
still strong, and still meeting the needs of ferret owners and ferrets.

Bill is the reason.  He has a special talent for moderation; perhaps even
a wisdom the rest of us lack.  His decisions in the past are what made the
FML what it is today, and if such decisions are a two-edged sword which
occasionally inflicts as much damage as it guards against, HISTORY has
shown us that such decisions were the right ones to make.  I do not think
Bill is perfect, and he knows I am not either.  But I respect Bill more
than I can describe.  And I don't think that the decisions *I* have made
warrant double guessing those Bill has made.

Bill is too modest about his contributions towards the success of the FML.
Rather than posting how upset you are that I will be leaving, might I offer
a suggestion?  How about posting something about how the FML has helped one
for your ferrets?  Then, when you see the tremendous amount of good this
list has done for ferrets, keep in mind who moderated it through that
entire time.

As I said, I am a true believer.  I don't think changes need to be made to
the FML, or especially it's moderator or his policies.  Please, no more
posting about me leaving the list; post instead something positive about
how the FML helped your ferret.

Bob C and 15 Mo' FML Ferrets