From:
Aliceon Fritz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 Aug 1996 12:09:29 -0400
We have a 3 yr old male ferret.  On June 24th our little guy underwent
perineal urethrostomy surgery because of a blocked urtha (I understand this
is not uncommon in male ferrets) Under our vet's suggestion, we switched him
and our other 2 male ferrets to c/d cat food which after much coaching all
three seemed doing well.  Last night we found our little guy in much
discomfort and immediately called the vet who met us at the office.  After
inserting a cath it was discovered he had crystals and had become blocked
again.  To make a long story short we left him there overnight and the vet
called this morning telling us he had become blocked again and she had
sutured a temporary cath in and was giving him antibodics.  Last night while
working on Bandito the vet talked about once they have crystals, even with
diet, this could be on ongoing problem and mentioned that in the near future
we might have to have him put to sleep.  Please help...is there anything
else we can do?  I can be reached through e-mail: [log in to unmask] or ferret
digest.

Bandito's Grandma