From:
Randy Horton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Aug 2000 05:56:20 -0600
Hi ya'll,
As you all know, I have had my share of distractions here at Especially
Ferrets since that fateful day on May 14th, 2000.  There is now so much
good news to tell you all, I'm just busting to get it out!

While I was in the hospital, Gloria's mom was dying of cancer at the same
time.  It was all she could do to take care of me, her mom, the shelter,
and her military career.  She kept our doors open, God Bless her, and
even though we weren't operating at peak efficiency, she kept us going.

I am getting well, and have been off the O2 for two days now during the
day.  I've lost almost 40 lbs and am starting to feel quite antsy.  I have
been staying very busy.  Last weekend, we had our first Ferret Fun Days at
the shelter and had maybe 70 fuzzies out in Ferretland USA just having a
ball.  We had some ferret racing and a beauty contest, refreshments and
lots of fun.  To top that off, Rebecca Jones, A local journalist who writes
animal articles came and spent a few hours with us and is using Especially
Ferrets for an project being done by AOL.  She will be back in 3 weeks to
do a follow up story on Trooper, An abuse victim who came to us weighing
less than a pound and burnt from his armpits down by some jerk with a
blowtorch.  He now weighs 3+ and is a fine looking boy except for some
places where he will never be able to grow hair again.  We send him out
for 2-3 weeks at a time to help with grieving ferrets who have recently
lost a friend.  He is so sweet and gentle.

The other good news is I just confirmed with Roger C from Animal Planet
that they will be coming down from Canada with a film crew on Aug 13 and
spend the day filming us at work and play here at the shelter.  Of course
there will be lots of footage of Ferretland USA for all to see.  and the
day before they get here, Channel 9 here in Denver has invited us to be on
the tv the day before animal planet gets here and show off some of our many
adoptable kids here at the shelter.  Boy, we have really needed something
like this to helps us out.  We are getting 15-20 ferrets a week for every
one we adopt out right now .  It's a trend we see every year, and we know
that we will make it through the tough times.  We do every year.  So with
allthis media coverage, we hope things will get easier, or will we get
busier?  Stay tuned to the FML!  I will keep you posted!

Hugs,
Ferretguy