Date:
Fri, 6 Jul 2001 00:16:40 EDT
There was a recent article on deaf ferrets.  Little and Socks are two
rescues I brought home after they were full grown.  I did not realize
Little was deaf for ages.  He imitated the other ferrets beyond belief.  He
sat, rolled over, begged, came when I called--with all the other ferrets.

Both of my guys know hand gestures.  If they are facing me, and I am close
enough, they will respond by coming to me.  But they don't see my hand
gestures in time to stop the pooping.

The reason I have all new drapes is because Little and Socks started
pooping, it was too late to hand gesture, I rushed to put their bottoms in
a litter box, and their "stuff" flew out on the drapes and carpet.  I
don't think I ever once made it in time to get them to the box.

My point is that some ferrets are not going to learn to use the litter box
using hand signals.  They may be faced the wrong way, you may not be close
enough for them to see, you may not have enough time to crouch down in
front of them to use hand signals.

I remember a couple of times, sugar coat things about ferrets.  Rich snobby
women wearing furs would ask me questions with disgust in their voice, and
I would make all ferrets appear almost flawless.  I was a different person
then.  It was before I found people that would understand how one could
still love an animal that poops on the rug.

My new drapes hang a good 5 inches from the floor.  They look short.  But
the ferrets cannot back up and spray "stuff" on them.  I tear out carpeting
and lay tile.  I put newspapers in the corners.  I put down a carpet over
the carpet.  I throw it out about every two months after Little and Socks
have pooped on it every day for two months.  ****If the ferret cannot
change-then change what YOU can.***

The way I feel about it is that ferrets make Terrible pets.  But they make
precious companions.  Each one is different.  Some will hit the litter box
with no training, some with training, and others will use the box different
percentages of the time.  Know that at the onset, determine if you can deal
with it, and move on from there.

Those of you who have ferrets that are deaf and don't poop on the floor??
Maybe it is all of you.  But mine are not like that, and I know that I am
a good ferret Mom, and consistent trainer.

I just don't want any deaf ferrets to be in any way mistakenly sugar coated.

Lisette