From:
Debbie Riccio <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Jul 1995 07:14:19 -0500
Ron,
If you want a happy ferret family - adopt - don't breed!  Breeding ferrets
is very difficult, time consuming, and not easy.  There are several breeders
on this list who will, I'm sure, agree with me.

If you have a whole male, you will need to keep him separated from the
others.  Separate cage, separate play time, etc.  And there is nothing
stinkier than a male ferret 'in season.' Male ferrets need to be in season
as well as the female, so timing must be considered.  If you female is ready
and your male isn't, then hopefully you've contacted another breeder in your
area so that you have an alternative plan.  And you can't wait until your
female is in before you start planning.

Also, do you realize that litters can be as big as 12 - 15 kits?  And that
many first-time mothers may need help with the delivery - you may need to
clean the babies, cut the cords, keep the kits warm until mom is finished
delivering.  New born kits are no bigger than your baby finger.  The last
two years when my jill delivered, it was a 24 hour marathon with no sleep for
me.  I plan my vacations around due dates so I can be home with her.  And
then I take an additional 2 weeks when the kits are around 4 or 5 weeks old
when I start weaning them.  They need socialization, they need to learn not
to bite, etc.

You should have all those babies vaccinated at least once before they are
adopted, and that can be expensive.

Back to the jill.....there are sooooo many things that can happen - mastitis,
uterine infections, no milk, etc.

Meg Carpenter wrote an article on breeding a few months ago and this is
how it started:

"Don't breed.  Don't breed.  Don't breed.  Don't breed."

I think that Pam Grant and Bill and Diane Killian will also agree - unless
you are serious about it, don't even start.  If you're thinking "one litter
and then I'll spay her" just have her spayed now and save yourself - and your
jill - from unnecessary disappointment.

Debbie Riccio
WNYFLFA
Rochester, NY