From:
Laura Fernando <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Mar 2000 05:59:01 -0800
I was just reading the FML and planning to post when I read the message
from Linda (What a week...).  Boy, that was one h*ll of a week!  I went
through the *almost* same thing with Pico.  I'll give you the good news
first - he's back to normal, running around, and pooping nice poops
everywhere he shouldn't!

I have always fed Pico and Marshmallow Eukunaba Kitten.  About 2 weeks ago
I decided to begin mixing Iams Kitten in with it.  I must admit that I did
it partially to expose them to another food, but partially b/c it was so
much easier to go to the grocery just down the street and get the Iams.
Let me say right now that I am not trying to start the whole Iams thing
again.  This was just b/c it was a NEW food, not b/c Iams changed their
formula, etc.

Well, it seemed that both were eating and doing fine, good poops, good
energy level, etc.  Then last Fri. night we noticed that Pico seemed to
be a little sluggish.  We gave him a little extra ferretvite and put him
in a seperate cage so that we could monitor intake/outgo.  I force fed him
water and gave him some more ferretvite b/f going to bed.  The next morning
(Sat.) we took him to the vet.  She checked him over, didn't see anything
glaringly wrong, then she took some blood for tests.  We took him home and
I continued to give him water every few hours.

Sunday we went to the Emergancy vet to get some Science Diet to make duck
soup.  Made the duck soup and fed it, while still giving water.  Pico began
to show some improvement.  Continued that through Mon. AM.  When the vet
called with the test results, she said that they were normal, with a few
results *slightly* out of range.  She said that those were consistent with
not eating, due to the food change.

We put them back on Eukunaba only and by Monday night, he was *almost*
fine.  He just got a little tired b/f he usually would have, but he is
getting ALL better!  You can just see it in his eyes.

I keep asking myself why I didn't notice earlier that he had not been
eating.  I like to consider myself a good ferret mom.  I just wanted to
post this (and it seems to go with Linda's post yesterday) that feeding
new foods can be dangerous.  Maybe a good idea would be to feed the old
and new foods in 2 seperate bowls?

Anyway, sorry for the very long post, just wanted to let others out there
know!

Love, Laura, Marshmallow (But wwwhhhhyyy can't Pico sleep with me?) and
Pico (Look ma! I pooped!)