From:
Edward Lipinski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Dec 1999 01:25:03 -0800
This is part 2 of the posting on vasectomization.  This part tells how
it is done.  It is a bit technical because it is my letter conveying a
scientific paper I coauthored to a veterinarian in Tennessee who requested
a copy.  If you have no interest in this subject, then please go on to
other postings and skip this one.  However, if your ferret veterinarian
should like a copy, please let me know (on his letterhead) and I am
obligated by professional courtesy to send.

Dr. Bxxxxx X. Bxxxx
                                  December 3rd, 1999
Pxxx Animal Clinic
XXXX Winchester Road
Mxxxxxx, TN 38XXX

Dear Doctor Bxxxx,

Thank you for you request letter of November 29,1999.  Please find
enclosed a copy of "A Technique for Vasectomizing Male Ferrets."

This reply is not from Dr. Ryland, but from the co-author of the above
paper, Edward Lipinski.  I, Edward, am the founder of the organization
called Ferret Endowment for Research, Rehabilitation, Education &
Training Society, NorthWest, aka F.E.R.R.E.T.S., NW, or simply FNW.

As a breeder of ferrets and operator of a small ferret
shelter/adoption/boarding/birth control center, we employ several
vasectomized ferrets to take incoming ferret jills who are in 2nd stage
estrus, usually in the late Spring, out of estrus for at least 6 weeks.
During this hiatus and into pseudopregnancy there is usually time to get
the ferret spayed during her ownership by the adopter before she completes
her seven week term and returns to a reduced state of estrus.  By reduced
state of estrus, I mean that this subsequent estrus is not as vigorous
as the initial state, (second stage estrus asymptomatic) and often will
subside without a second intervention of the vasectomized male.  Of course,
this practice is conditional on the health vibrancy of the female, who in
any case should be monitored , at least grossly, for external symptoms of
aplastic anemia, normally benign.

To reduce the potential for uterine infection, we have found it advantagous
to ensure superb cleanliness of the genetial areas of the mated pair
immediatly prior to intromission.

As an aside, we have found that rapidly repeated coitus utilizing two
vasectomized males followed immediately after withdrawal that the
intromission of a viripotent male results in a greatly reduced litter
number, for reasons that are not understood and subject to speculation.

To conclude let me emphasize that coitus proceeds optimally when the female
has been separated from the male (vasectomized or viripotent) for some time
during her estral development and that the female be displaying positive
signs of 2nd stage estrus.  Coitus attempted prematurely usually results in
savage disengagement by the female and consequent "cave-man etiquette" by
the unsatiated male.  The aftermath may likely leave the female displaying
massive trauma to the neck.

And lastly, we have found that during excising the vas deferens within the
tunic the paired testicular blood supply vessels, more than adequate care
should be taken that neither vessel is nicked, bruised or pinched.
Otherwise the result will likely be a physiologically neutered male "done
the hard way."

Thank you for your interest.  If you have any questions please do not
hesitate to ask and I will try to put you in touch with Dr. Rylands, who
last I knew was with the HIV/AIDs division of an epidemiology group, but
I can't at the moment remember where.

/Signed/ Edward Lipinski
F.E.R.R.E.T.S.,N.W.

Enclosure.      A Technique for Vasectomizing Male Ferrets.