From:
Ellen Byrne <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Feb 1996 00:57:00 -0500
As a member of the Maryland Coalition of Rational Rabies Policies, I am
pleased to inform you that a hearing will be held on February 22 on bill #
426.  This bill, if passed, will allow ferrets to be quarantined after a
reported "bite" incident.  Under the "Rabies Policy", "ferrets" will be
added to those lines describing policies for dogs and cats.  If the law
passes and an incident occurs, the ferret will most likely be quarantined
in its own home.  The owner will have to get the animal checked by a Vet
periodically during the quarantine.  This is a law we have all been waiting
for.

But, of course, this is not yet a victory.  Maryland ferret owners need to
contact their representatives and show their support for this bill.  You can
either write or call them.  If you don't know who your representative is,
call 410-841-3000.  You will then be heading in the right direction.  You
can also find phone numbers and addresses on the net.

Also, if it is at all possible, please try to take off and go to the
hearing.  A good turnout will show our representatives the large support I
know this bill has.  The hearing is at 1pm on February 22.  It will be in
room 160 of the Lowe Office Building in Annapolis.  I hope to see you there.

Ellen Byrne
Metro Ferret Rescue League

PS  I have a form letter for those of you interested in writing to your
    representative I am willing to forward.