From:
Pam Grant and STAR* Ferrets <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Jul 1997 21:46:40 -0400
>This is how Rose Smith of LOS, Pam Grant of STAR* (when she ran a shelter)
>and Vickie McKimmey of the AFA do their breeding and shelters.

I'd like to clarify that Pamela Troutman Grant is still operating her
shelter, The Ferrets of Pet Pals.  The operation has changed somewhat in
format - I will not accept owner released ferrets.  I ask the owners to hold
on to their ferrets until I can place them.  I am running a two to three
week turnaround on placements - very similar to shelters who take in all the
ferrets they are contacted about.  The only ferrets I take into my home are
the ones released to me from Animal Control, because these ferrets don't
have a place to go (yes, sometimes the wardens takes ferrets home, but I
have been receiving the brunt of them lately.) If an owner MUST give up a
ferret immediately, I refer them to Vickie McK.

As to my breeding practices, I have one litter this year and the kits are
already spoken for.  I plan to breed one ferret next year and then have
everyone neutered.  My interest in working with the German ferrets has been
pleasurable and I feel I accomplished my goals as a breeder.

I have really enjoyed being alone with my pets, not having to deal with ECE
attacks and taking ferrets to the vets every other week.  My operation is a
wonderful way to prevent burnout and an easy way to work a shelter on
limited budgets and space.  I plan to write up the details of operating a
shelter in this manner in the next issue of STAR* Ferrets so others might
consider doing the same.

But it is STILL a shelter / rescue / adoption service in the sense of the
mission.  And the mission is to care for the ferrets that need homes.

Until there are none in the shelter system, don't buy, but adopt one.

Pam