From:
reanee gladden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 May 2005 15:06:52 +0000
My vet always gives a sedative first.  Out of the ferrets I have had to
help over, only two have ever needed any more than that.  Those were
given the heart stick.  No signs of pain or trauma was ever seen.

The worst experiance with euthanasia, was a few years age.  My vet will
come to my house to help my dogs cross over.  It was Jigsaws time.  I
sat on the couch holding his head in my lap when the injection was given.
He went so peacefully and easy.  As I sat there still holding his head
about 10 mins.  after the vet had checked his heart and declared him
gone, suddenly this dog sat straight up and looked around.  I jumped and
yelled' oh my god Jigs".  Within seconds he lay back down and was truely
gone.  Even the vet was surprised by the muscle reactions in this dog.
I was totaly freaked.  It was not an easy thing to see.  I have seen odd
muscle reactions after an animal is declared dead, this I was not
prepared the dog sitting straight up.  They can be very scary to the
person who is momma to this animal.  You can imagine how concerned I was
that he was truely gone, when they took him out the door for creamation.

Just know that every animal is differant and will react to drugs
differantly.  Eithanasia, is not an easy thing to have to do, but it is
at least a choice we can make when an animal is suffering.  If only we
could do so for the people we love and would want us to do that for them.
My Aunt had to strave to death, because we could not help her over.  I
think it is a sad thing.  It took her a week to die.

REANEE GLADDEN

"SQUEEZLES GALORE"
http://reaneelgladden.tripod.com/squeezlesgalore/