Date:
Fri, 1 Jul 2011 12:18:50 EDT
It is with a sad, sad heart that I ask for a greeting for my dear
Hershey Bear. We helped her cross the Bridge on Friday, June 17, after
a valiant but unsuccessful bought with lymphoma. She was 6. This was
the second time Hershey had lymphoma. The first time was a diagnosis in
Jan 2007. She underwent the Tuft's protocol and went into remission for
almost 2 years!!!!! Lymphoma raised it's ugly head again in April. We
started the protocol in May but she couldn't tolerate it this time. The
treatment played havoc with her blood, particularly the platelets which
dropped to 1. So the decision was made to let her go.

Hershey came into my life when she was 4 mo old. She was a pet store
baby who had been purchased by someone who apparently had no clue about
ferrets. She was returned to the store with what was claimed to be
rectal prolapse. That person had visited my vet with her and the
details of that visit still remain unclear but the bottom line is that
person returned her to the pet store and received a refund. My vet told
me about this, I went to the pet store to see about her, the manager
took me to the back and showed her to me. She looked up at me from
an aquarium with wood shavings and poop piled up the side with the
sweetest look that said "take me home!!" I asked the manager what he
wanted for her and he replied just a good home, so we said "see ya"
and out the door we went to begin our lives together. I took her
immediately to the vet's, when we walked in the door the vet was in the
reception area with a client, when the client left I walked up to her,
with Hershey, butt up and asked "does this look like rectal prolapse to
you??" and she replied "no". I didn't think so!!! Hershey was one of
those babies who really steals your heart, I know, they all do but some
a little more than others. She loved to play on the bed with me with
her lick, lick, chomp. But I would tell her no or gently touch her nose
and she immediately let go, only to come back once again!!! She will be
looking for her cage mates, Jazzy and Rascal who preceded her in the
last 2 years. Jazzy just last September. Make sure she finds all her
family, of which there are many and many she doesn't know but I know
they will welcome her with open paws.

I know that cats don't live at this Bridge but I would imagine that my
cat, Missy, passed through going to the cat area. She crossed 4 days
before Hershey at the ripe old age of 19 1/2. There are many of her
family at the Bridge too. She and my first ferret, Cinnamon were great
playmates many years ago. Poor Missy, she always wanted to play with
them but they generally got the best of her and she wouldn't stay
long!!

Thanks for greeting my babies, and for all you do. You, all of you, are
much appreciated.

Ann, Jamie, Cody and Zoe.