From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Nov 2000 16:42:09 -0500
Erin, Bruce Williams has also had more experience with cardiomyopathy than
he'd like.  I think he's been through it three times, the same as we have.
We each have something written on the topic at
http://www.miamiferret.org/fhc .

His is literate and has that vet background behind it, too.  Our's started
as an article that later had a lot of things glued on piecemeal as the
years went on and free time got shorter and shorter.  If you want to plow
through it be my guest.  The salt thing (diet) turned out to not matter.
You certainly may write to me if you'd like, but I'm not a vet and each
case varies.  Do know from experience that our next step would be a chest
ultrasound to access level and type and the results from that would
determine meds (which will change in doses and possibly type as time goes
on).  We have had wonderful luck with the meds in terms of returned quality
of life and greatly increased healthy time.  Oh, there is now evidence that
St. John's Wort interferes with Digoxin, and of course, some things like
true licorice, gen sang, caffeine, chocolate, etc.  should be completely
avoided with circulatory disease.  For some reason there isn't much info
available in many places on cardiomyopathy even though it is common.  We
have personally been through it so early that it wasn't diagnosible at
first even with ultrasound despite ascites and the complication of
simultaneous heart tumor, through dilative with ventricular bigemini
(Bruce got the treating vet to add Digoxin to her mix and that gave her
more than a year of extra fun), and through hypertrophic.

Wolfy wrote:
>Enviracaire (with deonizer option, various speeds, prefilter, and charcoal
>for odor control)

Environcaire model we have does NOT ionize.  We would not use one that
did; too dangerous to lungs.  We love our's.  Charcoal filter must be
often changed for odor control.

Wolfy, sometimes they whimper, sometimes go "whraaaaak whraaaaaaaaak"
if young kits, and sometimes mope or fail to eat.

>i think you are missing the point...if i understand correctly, ferrets
>exposed to ADV can test negative several times, then suddenly be
>positive... you have to KEEP testing if you know they have been exposed...

Yes, and on the other side of the coin they may be exposed but never
contract ADV.  Still, it is only fair to let any exposures be known to
anyone who is interested in such ferrets.  Everyone who breeds or
shelters, or has an exposed one or one with possible symptoms should test.
Test and be fair -- no rumors, no half-truths.