From:
Catherine Shaffer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 Jan 1996 10:27:41 -0500
Someone asked if a ferret might cry in her sleep because of prior abuse.
I'm happy to say I've got a crier, too, and I'm VERY certain he was never
abused.  I bought Mortimer from a private individual.  He had excellent care
and was in vigorous good health when he joined our family.  And, he cries
like a baby every night.  It's kind of funny and cute, really.  I like to
think he's having *exciting* dreams.  After all, my two ferrets squeak all
the time when they play.  If your ferret was abused before you got her, I'll
bet she doesn't remember a bit of it.  Animals have different minds than we
do.  We can not know what dreams they have, or what exactly makes them
squeak in their sleep, but I believe ferrets very much dwell in the present,
and if their present is happy, so are they.  Also, I think it's been
discussed here before, but many ferrets tremble when they wake up from a
nap.  Imagine crawling out of your warm bed on a cold winter morning with no
clothes on at all.  :)

A funny tangent:  I had a terrible nightmare the other day.  I don't
remember what it was, but my husband said I made a noise just like a
ferret.  I must have been dreaming about wrestling with giant ferrets.

-Catherine Shaffer