Date:
Mon, 19 Oct 2009 09:15:50 -0700
I had looked this up for someone else a while back. This was from a
posting to the FML from Bob Church last year.

  Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2008 03:07:03 -0700
  From: Bob C <[log in to unmask]>
  Subject: Bob C:Q&A: Brusier and an Alternative to Wheels for Ferrets
           Who Can't Use Back Legs

Q: "Hey Bob, I recall Bruiser was unable to walk. A lady on the FML
asked about wheels...what did you use on him?"

A: Whips and chains. Oh, I'm sorry, isn't this the FS&MML?

No seriously, I didn't use wheels. I used a large silicon furniture
mover disk, commonly called a slider.

What you need: 4-inch slider disk (the rectangular ones work best, but
any shape can be modified), Heavy duty stapler, 4 3-inch Velcro strips
(2 of each type), tin snips, fingernail file, boiling water.

Trim the slider disk with tin snips so it is as wide as the ferret's
back end when the legs are folded in the proper sitting position.
Cutting is made easier if you boil the disk for a few minutes.

When cool, sand off all rough edges with the fingernail file.

Boil the slider disk again and when still hot, slightly bend up one
edge of the disk to help it not catch on stuff on the floor. I have
found about a 1/2-inch bend so the edge of the disk is about 1/4-inch
higher than floor level is about right. It will be the top edge of the
ferret slider, the one facing the ferret's head end. You can also bend
the back edge up a bit, but it is not as critical.

Use the stapler to attach a couple of Velcro strips, so they are at the
corners (two at the top of the ferret slider and two at the bottom),
and at an angle of about 45 degrees (again, hot plastic staples easier
than cold plastic). I put the soft strip so it faces the body of the
ferret and the barbed strip so it faces away from the body, and the
strips are in opposite corners. Make sure your top bend is facing the
body of the ferret.

Bend your ferret's legs into an anatomical position and strap them in,
crisscrossing the Velcro strips to form an X on the back of the ferret
(make it snug but not tight). The slider takes their back end off the
floor, takes very little space so they can go just about anywhere their
ferret friends can go, and it reduces floor friction so that they are
as mobile -- or more -- than any ferret with wheels. Also, any poo-poo
mistakes can be easily cleaned off the plastic. In fact, the ease of
construction and extreme low cost makes it easy to construct several
"Ferret Sliders", and when one is soiled, just strap on the clean
replacement.

I used these "Ferret Sliders" with Bruiser and I thought they worked
far better than a wheeled contraption. They are low tech, but very,
very effective. Bruiser was able to follow other ferrets into tubes,
and crawl into sleep sacks -- something he could never do with wheels.
Also, if the slider gets stuck on something, the ferret can pull
themselves out of the slider and not end up stuck for hours at the
wall and the leg of a table. The sliders allow ferrets to be more like
ferrets, require no moving parts, and can be made by just about anyone.

Give it a fair chance and I think you will like them better than a
wheeled cart.

Bob C [log in to unmask]

 --------

I also found directions for making a wheel cart on another website
http://www.instructables.com/id/The-FerretMobile-DIY-Ferret-Wheelchair/

Hope this is what was being looked for.
Tracy