From:
Erika Matulich <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Dec 2000 09:24:41 -0500
Hi, all!
I recently adopted two ferrets (Tito and Monique) who were quite ill (one
with ECE and the other with a liver infection).  Dr. Kemmerer has provided
wonderful medical support, so that part is fine.  However, both ferrets
refuse to eat unless they are hand fed.  They willingly eat their gruel
of warmed turkey baby food, probiotics, and ground up Totally Ferret, just
as long as you are holding them and put a spoon or syringe in their face.
But if you put the spoon on the floor, or put their gruel in a dish on the
floor, they won't touch it.  They won't eat dry food either.  This has been
going on for a month.

The theory of "if they get hungry enough, they will eat" does not work.  My
fear is that in mid-January, a heavy career load will not allow my husband
and I to feed these guys every 4 hours as we have been.  We would love to
get them eating on their own, and even moving to solid kibble, before this
happens.

Any hints?

Thanks, Erika