Date:
Tue, 19 Apr 2005 15:06:26 -0700
He does not have one of his own, but ferrets are the principal part of
Travis Livieris life.  * My ferrets (the black-footed kind) live in
prairie dog colonies about 15 miles south of where I live in South
Dakota.  My life is mostly consumed by ferrets,* says the executive
director of Prairie Wildlife Research.

The son of a retired firefighter and secretary, Livieri also has a
sister and brother.  Growing up in Milwaukee, he *gained a love for
wildlife/animals as a child by spending time in the forests of northern
Wisconsin.* After obtaining a degree in wildlife biology, Livieri took
a temporary job as a technician on the black-footed ferret recovery
project.  That was 10 years ago.

We have such fun with our little weasels that it is hard to imagine
anything better.  Newborn kits are such a thrill as they grow and play.
So, what does the non-ferret owner have that could possibly compete?  *I
work with the endangered black-footed ferret, North America's only native
ferret species,* Livieri says.  *I have many memorable black-footed
ferret experiences but my favorite was finding the first litter of
wild-born kits in 1995.  It was a special moment for me and also for
black-footed ferret recovery.  The re-introduction program began in 1994;
Mike (a colleague) and I found the first litter of kits in SD in the
summer; I have watched this population grow to a self-sustaining group.*

That group now numbers about 70 litters a year, with each litter
consisting of about 3.  Only 11 US states and Mexico have prairie dogs,
a requirement for the black-footed ferret.  A single ferret will eat
about 125 prairie dogs a year, or one every three days.  While they
cannot be used to control the prairie dog population, black-footed
ferrets are their natural enemy.

So, what does Livieri do when hes not traveling these 11 states?  He
likes to *hike, hunt, fish and watch the Green Bay Packers.* And, his
ideal day would be *to go fishing with Green Bay Packers quarterback
Brett Favre.  He seems like a real down-to-earth guy who has always
worked hard to achieve his dreams.  He doesn't take himself too
seriously, is loyal to his teammates and strives to be the best.  On
Sundays I sit in my easy chair and watch football, particularly the Green
Bay Packers.* Livieri also reads, his favorite book is *The Fountainhead*
by Ayn Rand and enjoys listening to music, particulary hard/classic rock
(Led Zeppelin, Van Halen, etc.).

Livieri would you like to be remembered *As a hard worker who contributed
to the recovery of black-footed ferrets.* I think that one is a safe bet.
Come learn more about the black-footed ferret on May 1 at the St. Louis
Symposium.

If you have a large parcel of land in a state where prairie dogs are
found and would like to help in the stabilization of the black-footed
ferret, Travis can be contacted at:
Prairie Wildlife Research
P.O. Box 515
Wall, SD 57790