From:
Larry Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Apr 2012 02:14:08 -0400
Wow Wolfy! It sure doesn't seem that long ago. Scales and Tails has two
remaining DMKs, a male and a female, both were breeders. We didn't have
much open space back then, so we took in several bad biters, and a few
other non-adoptables.

The male, OddJob, was easy to name. He was a solid block of muscle,
basically with no neck. He looked just like the evil henchman from one
of the James Bond movies (Goldfinger, I think). He had obviously never
been handled and never interacted with other ferrets, other than to do
"his job". He would latch on and not let go - lost a lot of blood to
that boy. Eventually, he figured out that life was pretty good around
here, and stopped biting, except when startled - we quickly learned not
to startle him!. When we would put him out with the other ferrets to
play, he would just sit and watch. The first time he actually started
running behind the pack as they tore around the kitchen, I almost
cried. He didn't even know how to run. He sort of had a rocking horse
motion - both front feet up, then both back feet up, pogo-ing across
the floor. The other guys would complete a lap and come back towards
him, and he would just skid, and then start rocking after them. He
turned into the sweetest gentlest old fat boy.

The girl, a DEW, was easy to name as well. Bitey Whitey. She didn't
bite as hard as OddJob, but she more than made up for it with
frequency! We finally won her over as well. She's been on the twice a
day regimen of Chicken Gravy and Pred for at least a couple of years
now. She was on Lupron, but we got her a Des implant about 3 months
ago. WOW! She really perked up after that.

We didn't trust that they would ever be completely bite free, so they
never made it to the adoptable category. I am sitting here with a big
smile on my face as I think about these two - they are really why we
do this, aren't they?

Larry Anderson
Scales and Tails Rescue