From:
Joan Vick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Jun 1998 23:40:03 EDT
I usually just lurk (I'm kinda shy and not good with words, like Bob C.!)
But Id like to add to the healthy ferret stories.  I'v been owned by ferrets
for the last 21 years.  I bought my first ferret in 1977 when I was 15.  I
bought her from the pet store where I worked.  She came from Colorado (was
she from MF?) well, I did everything wrong!  All the information I had came
from a book called " All about ferrets" by Mervin Roberts.  This book said
nothing about spaying females and said you should handle your ferret with
gloves!  Well I didnt use gloves but I kept her in a 55 gallon fish tank
with pine chips and fed her kitten chow.  And my poor little Louise died
from anemia at 2 years old, she was spayed just too late.  There has been
many ferrets since then, 17 so far.  Plus 2, I found homes for.  ( didnt get
along with others) Well to make a long story short I had 1 ferret (Sadie)
live to be 10 and another live to be 11 (Gizmo).  They both ate kitten chow
too!  ( no I do not feed that food now , I know better) And I currently have
8 with no cancers, adrenal, etc.  One does have an Immune mediated disorder,
which makes her really itchy every once in awhile.  They range in age from 1
year to unknown (Buddy is a blind rescue who was beaten by a 10 year old
child with a hockey stick) Looking at his teeth he may be 6 or older.  This
is already pretty long, but Id like to post another time about how I keep
everybody happy and healthy.  P.S.  to Bob C.  I have really enjoyed all
your posts wish I knew ya 21 years ago!

Joan and the 8 Toledo Terrors