From:
John & Sandy Lazdins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Nov 1997 15:53:38 +1000
>However, there is the question of endurance here that should be considered;
>after all, the Aussie critter did his thing over 60 feet, whereas Benjamin's
>traverse was only 12 feet.  We shall always wonder: could Benji have kept up
>his pace over an additional 48 feet?... there's next year's ferret olympics
>... Maybe Benji will surpass his record of year 1997.

Maybe 60 feet is the Olympic Marathon for ferrets.  And I must clarify
myself it was not one of my ferrets that holds the record here.

>I have a question about that 60 feet of 90 mm ... drain pipe.  Was it on
>level ground?  How was the ferret encouraged to run at top speed (?) through
>the entire length of the 60 feet?  Perhaps the length and diameter of the
>pipe is awsome for the ferret, and if a squeeker is sounded at the exit end,
>that squeeking is resoundingly amplified by the time it reaches the ferret's
>ears at the other end, the input end.  ...

At the races we usually have 5 lanes of 60ft. pipe.  The owners put the fert
in at the start.  screw the cap back on the pipe end and then have to stand
silently at the start until the ferrets are out the other end and caught by
the catchers.  No calling, no squeakers, no tapping on pipes - just well
trained ferts (Sometimes <Grin>) They have been known to double back and
stop at the start, or sit at the finish with all their body out apart from
their tails until all the others are out and finish.  <Sigh>

How to get them to do it make a game of it at home and give them lots of
love and treats when they get it right.  My 8 1/2 week old babies started
playing in the pipes a week ago times so far for 60 ft = 11 minutes.  You
have to start somewhere <very big grin> Sam will be the champion at the next
ST Kilda Cup in April.  How's that for positive thinking by a proud mum.

Health and happiness to you and your "family"
Sandy