From:
"J. GREGG" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Dec 1996 13:16:48 -0700
Hello all, I recently saw a posting of some one wondering about wild
ferrets.  Here is some of the info I have came across during my studies (I'm
a wildlife science major).  The domisticated ferret I belive is decended
from the European Ferrets.  European ferrets were first brought over to deal
with small rodent problems on farms (ie.  rabbits, gophers, ect.) There was
a classic blunder in New Zealand involing ferrets: New Zealand introduced
the rabbit for game (can't recall when).  Well the rabbit did very well and
became over populated, so New Zealand brought in one of the rabbits biggest
predator..the ferret.  The ferrets did a very profincent job and not only
knocked down the rabbit population, but also endangered two speices of birds
native to New Zealand.  I can't recall how they dealt with their "ferret"
problem.  Ferrets in the wild are carnavors, that is why it is suggested not
to feed domisticated ferrets meat because they can become agressive.
Ferrets use to be used to hunt rabbits but the owner useally had to put a
muzzle on them because otherwise the ferret would make the kill and the
owner would have to dig the ferret out, it was easier to muzzle them and
have the ferrets chase the rabbit out of the hole.  The domisticated ferrets
of today are somewhat smaller than the European ferret that they could be
decended from.  There are very few Black Footed ferrets left in the wild
here in America.  Only one or two true black footed ferret habitats are
left.  My girlfriends grandfather was a geologist in Colorado and had a run
in with a black footed habitat that stopped one of his projects, (boy did he
hate the ferrets, he's probably rolling in his grave now because we have 3).
The ferret has a very interesting history, it's hard to believe that these
cute little fuzzy butts could be so vicious.  I don't care what anyone has
to say about the ferret, to me they don't know anything until they've
studied or owned a few ferrets for them self.  One of my profs.  doesn't
like ferrets and we continully argue the intelligence of the mystrious
carpet shark.  Ferrets are extremely cunning and can figure almost anything
out.  It's fun to sit back and watch the ferrets use their problem solving
skills, however they useally have me running across the room after them when
they pull of a caper I didn't think they could.  I'm sure there is a lot
more information of the ferrets origins, this was just a few facts I found
interesting (my area of specailty is large predators).  Have a safe holiday
and be on the look out for your ferrets hauling of your Christmas tree!!

                 jdg.