From:
Mooney Norma <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Wed, 3 Nov 1993 15:01:12 -0500
Hi, this is Norma-ann . I am writing an article about Ferrets for one of my
journalism classes and I was wondering if anyone out there would mind
answering a few questions (if anyone can) I have about ferrets. I have
only read a few issues so far and have come under the impression that
DR. BRUCE WILLIAMS is our resident expert...true?
        My article was inspired by the fact that every time I told someone
that I just got a little baby ferret (Molly the magnificent, who I have bragged
about profusely in an earlier issue) that person would inevitably say
something along the lines of "Eww, a ferret?!?!" Obviously these people
are in serious need of ENLIGHTENMENT.
        I want to dispel the misconceptions about ferrets (they are
vicious, always bite, don't love their human companions, stink, carry
rabies, can't be trained or trusted, etc.) and show them to be the
most wonderful little critters I know (from experience) they are.
        So...
Does anyone know (1) exactly How long they have been domesticated (I have
heard 500 years before cats)?
                (2) How many cases of rabies have been reported in ferrets
vs. cats and dogs over the past year (5 years, ten years?) in Canada (where
are you from Dr. Williams?) or North America?
                (3) How many incidents of serious bites from ferrets (vs.
dogs and cats) have been reported in the past year (or 5 or 10) in Canada or
North America?
                (4) Is it true that you can't leave a ferret alone with young
children or they will chew them up?? My vet said this. I know that children
should never be left alone with animals, period, but are Ferrets especially
risky?
                (5) Is it true that a ferret can only survive out of doors, on
its own, for an average of three days? If so, this would help to dispel
the notion that they are WILD.
        Well, if anyone can supply me with some "official" answers that
are okay to use as info. and quotes for my article I would *really*
appreciate it. I plan to have this article published, if it turns out as
well as I expect it to, since it is a very important one...in my opinion!
        Thanks so much.
        Norma-ann  and Molly Mae.