From:
Lynn McIntosh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Aug 2004 17:18:50 -0700
>From:    Tara Radford <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Welcome back,Lynn McIntosh;)
>
>Lynn,  I am so pleased to see you back & posting.  For those of you
>newbies Lynn ran the adrenal/nsulinoma list for many years.
>
>Her knowledge is Fantastic and you can rest assured that her advice
>given on meds & such is correct.Often, someone may have a ferret who may
>of experienced a disease and they give medical advice.It is all done in
>good faith but please be careful??  Lynn is wonderful & we are very
>lucky to have her back,posting;))...

Hi Tara!  You're too sweet.  Actually, I never left the FML, though I
mostly lurk, since our 10 fur kids have long crossed to the stars, mostly
at blessedly ripe old ages.  I'm sure much of my knowledge is getting far
behind the times, but ocassionally I chime in if I think I might help...
hopefully only with experience, strength, and hope rather than advice,
and always with a grain of salt and understanding that it might simply
be something for someone to share with their vet.

I think we fuzzy caretakers can contribute a lot by striving to humbly
and succinctly share new developments and/or ideas with our vets, and
to learn as much as possible so as to become the best observers and
partners in care we can.  I believe one of the most (if not the most)
important choices ferret caretakers make is to select the best, most
ferret-experienced, competent, caring vet available.  Studying a bit and
paying attention to others' experiences with medical issues can help us
do this successfully.  I recall one of my favorite vets saying that every
time she thought she had a fairly solid rule for a particular issue with
ferrets, she'd find an exception (although she talked about one "rule"
she could depend on being frequent surgical suprises in the form of
unusual tumors).

Medical isues and all, fuzzies are incredibly wonderful and sublime
beings and writing about them is giving me a craving to visit my ferret
nephew, a lovely silver mitt who spent a great part of his young life
caged at a pre-school and now has his own fert mom Kate, and a great
romping area.  Guess I'll have to schedule a visit soon!

Beau's "Auntie Lynn"