Date:
Sun, 26 Jun 2005 09:29:59 -0700
Thank you so much to everyone who has signed the guestbook celebrating
our 5,000 edition anniversary!  The pictures are wonderful, and it is
clear that the FML has touched a lot of people's lives in important ways.
For anyone who would like to add a message or just wants to browse, go to
http://books.dreambook.com/fml5000/members.html.
You're welcome to e-mail me your favorite picture(s) and I will add them
to your entry within a day.

Krista, I have also been vegan/vegetarian for many years (strict vegan
when I cook for myself).  I can understand your hesitation about feeding
raw meat to your little critters, but I don't think you should worry too
much.  Ferrets are carnivores, so they need meat whether it's raw or used
as a base ingredient in dry food.  It's very possible that feeding some
raw meat in place of dry food is healthier for your ferrets.  It's likely
to be kinder to animals as well, since you have the option of buying
stuff that's organic free-range.

Although I became veg*n for ethical reasons I've always tried to be
pragmatic about it.  I removed animals from my diet because it was an
easy and effective way to support animal welfare, and I could do so
without any detriment to my health.  However, I have accepted lots of
medical treatments based on animal research because if I hadn't I would
would not be alive now.  Similarly, since my ferrets truly are carnivores
I have no qualms about feeding them the diet they need to be healthy.
(Though admittedly I do let them steal tiny bits of tofu, pasta, and
baked goods off my dinner plate.) Good luck with whatever you decide to
do for your little guys.

Julie

Ginger - Oh, goody!  Pancakes for breakfast!  Can I have some?
Sned  -  I'll just stick to my Totally Ferret, thank you very much
Aggie -  I don't care what's for dinner.  Just give me a cozy spot and
         my teddy mouse
Chester - I love broccoli, tomatoes, potatoes, cashews, and oranges!
          Why won't Mommy let me have any??