From:
"Erin Larson (IHG)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Jan 2000 08:40:32 -0600
Hi all.  I'm a former reader of this mailing list but lost my internet
access so haven't been on in awhile.  But now I'm back.  I know there have
been NUMEROUS posts about Hair loss, but I'm going to add another one. ;)
Aren't I so nice.

Last summer, my 2 yr old started* lossing her tail hair.  It never actually
got bald, just twiggy/sparse.  Then it grew back.  My vet attributed it to
coat change.  I had never seen any* of my other ferrets do it.  Well.  Now,
just recently, my second oldest, who is about 4 or 5, I can't remember
anymore, has lost the hair on his tail.  Oddly though, it's JUST his tail,
and the tip of it still has hair.  Like a poodle or something.  He's still
being normal.  As normal as he's been since he orginally got sick anyways.
(he used to be quite rambunctios, but after he got sick he became VERY
docile).  Should I assume it's just another coat change?  For about a year
before this he's had blackheads on his tail.  I've tried and tried and
tried to make them go away.  they haven't with my efforts, but they seem
to be gone or mostly gone now.  So far I haven't seen it grow back.  Maybe
it's jsut because he's old like the recent post.  Maybe it's just a coat
change, but it's been a little while and still no regrowth.  Maybe I'll
advise my mom into bringing him to the vet but like the other hair loss
post, my vet isn't the most knowledgeable ferret person.  We've made her
become knowledgeable but she's got a long ways to go.  I have a feeling she
will just say it's a coat change again.

Well, that's that. Let me give you some info on my ferrets.

I have 1 male albino, about 4 or 5 yrs.  that's the one that's sick.  His
name is Houdini.  I got him a girlfriend about a year after I got him.
She's about 5 or 6.  Her name is Spunky, she's just a plain sable, though
very light.  Then I have a 2 yr old, the other hair loss baby.  She's a
dark chocolate sable.  her name is teddy bear because she looks like a
little kodiak bear.  Then I just recently got a silvermitt.  He's fat.
He's the second largest of the group.  he's not quite a year old yet.
Very playful but slowly settling down.  We also have a siamese.  He's the
largest and the youngest.  He's a month younger than the silvermitt (BTW
the silvermitt is Sylvester).  This one's name is Panda Bear.  He looks
like a cream colored panda.  (From what I read, he's supposedly a siamese).
He's fat and lazy and LOVES to steal treats.  I think he would do great in
a ferret race because even though he's fat and lazy, he can sure run!.
Well that's all I have.  Thanks

Erin Larson

"Due to a shortage of devoted followers, the production of great leaders
 has been discontinued."