From:
Jacolyn Bugalski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Aug 2001 11:34:21 -0500
I just wanted to share with you all an article posted in "News From the
Ferret Den" Info Sheet No. 37 ([log in to unmask]) July 2001

REACTION PREVENTION -- from Debi Christy, [log in to unmask]
For ferrets that have not had reactions before: We now give 0.5cc (weight
under 2 pounds) to 1.0cc (weight over 2 pounds) children's Benadryl (oral)
daily for 3 days before the vaccination and 1.0cc 30 minutes before the
shot, and .05cc to 1.0cc the following day.  Of course, the dose given 30
minutes before the shot can be substituted with an injection of injectable
Benadryl at the clinic.

For ferrets that have previously had reactions: We give the same dosage of
Benadryl for 5 days prior to teh vaccination.  The ferret is taken to the
vet's office for vaccination.  An injection of Azium is given prior to the
vaccination.  Oxygen & IV is set up so that it is ready if needed.  The
slightest symptom of reaction is treated with a second injection of Azium.

We've had near fatal reactions giving only 1.0cc 30 minutes before the shot
and one of those was a young ferret getting only her 2nd of the initial 3
shots.  We've had no severe reactions since starting this new protocol.
One ferret that had a near fatal reaction the year before (and was treated
for 5 days previousito the vaccination time), suffered one momentary
episode of mild nausea.

Before the new protocol, our reaction rate was 20% ... 5% of those being
near fatal.  Out of nearly 100 vaccinations per year, those numbers are
pretty scary.

PRE-TREAT....no matter what your vet says.